Saturday, September 26, 2009

Ladies in the Comics

I don't know why, but I've been picking up many comics with women as the main character. Usually its because of some creator I really like.

It started with Wonder Woman, which was drawn by Terry Dodson. He has long since left doing this book but I still keep getting it because of the great writing if Gail Simone.

Next was a book from the Vertigo line called Madam Xanadu. However, it wasn't the artist this time but the writer. Matt Wagner, who wrote Mage and Grendel is revitalizing this very minor character from the DC Universe. And the latest story arc has the art of Michael William Kaluta, who has been a favorite of mine since Startruck in 1985.

For the pure fun of it, I've been getting Power Girl. Primarily because of the artwork of Amanda Connor. With all the jokes about Power Girls physical attributes along with some good action and funny writing, this campy book is really entertaining.

For a darker comic, Detective Comics is now highlighting Batwoman. All the bat books are up in the air because Bruce Wayne is presumed dead and all the other characters are taking over. And with a new creative team, I'm finding that the artwork of J.H. Williams III is something really special.

And finally, this last week I grabbed issue 1 of Spider-Woman. This is created by the team of Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev who did a great job on Daredevil a couple years ago. This moody and atmospheric book will be one I'll be picking up each month.

So I don't know if more books are being published that have female characters, or the creators I'm interested in are doing more books with women, but I am really enjoying these books and will continue to get them.

No comments: