Monday, February 22, 2010

Old Time Newspaper Strips

Companies like Fatagraphics and IDW are reprinting old newspaper comics, and its a good thing. The library has always had books of newspaper strips. Peanuts, Garfield and Calvin and Hobbes books are constantly checked out. With Farside, Foxtrot, and even with our local celebrity Kevin Fagan in mind, we have a couple of the Drabble books floating around on our shelves.

However, a couple years ago I picked up for the library the first couple volumes of the George Harriman stip Krazy Kat and Ignatz. With volume 1, Krazy & Ignatz 1925-1926: "There Is a Heppy Lend Fur Fur A-Waay" and volume 2, Krazy & Ignatz 1927-1928: "Love Letters in Ancient Brick", I discovered how cool these old strips were. Surreal and sweet, Harriman created some of the most unique comic strips of all time.

Later on, when I saw a reprint of the old Popeye comic strips come across my selection list, I picked it up. Currently the library has volume 2, Popeye: "Well Blow Me Down!" We all know Popeye from the cartoons, but the comic strip stories are epic storylines that go on for months at a time. But E. C. Segar told tales much longer than a 12 minute cartoon. Much like a comic book series, the stories are well defined. And printed in an oversize format, the last quarter of the book is full of Sunday strips, full page color comic goodness.

Most recently, I purchased for the library the first volume of the Prince Valiant comic strips. With every strip on full color pages, the fantastic artwork of Harold R. Foster is the biggest joy of reading the book. Like Popeye, the serialized story goes on for pages. As the Prince explores his world and fights everything from bandits to monsters, we are carried along a wonderful adventure.

I am far to young to have read these strips when they first came out. But I can see how they might have ignited peoples imaginations back in the day. I guess these could be considered a more literate Saturday Morning Cartoon that was part of my generation. Hopefully, some library patrons will find these books and remember them first hand. Or better yet, discover them like I did and enjoy reading the strips my parents and grandparents enjoyed.

No comments: