Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Review - Justice League of America #54 - #59

The recent Justice League story line has had me scratching my head and feeling really frustrated. Cosmic level supervillian Eclipso has taken control of all the shadow characters of the DC Universe is using them to do something evil. I’m not exactly sure what something with a star heart in the Emerald City, but he did split the moon in half.

The feeling of only getting half the story is my biggest problem with the last couple years of Justice League. And this might be the case because there were tons of crossovers. But I have made a personal vow not to purchase additional titles where the storyline continues in a different book. I the recent issues of Justice League are guilty of having many editors notes “*see JSA #45” or some such other rot.

I initially started picking up the Justice League comic because novelist Brad Melzer was writing it. Unfortunately, he was only around for about a dozen issues or so. And slowly the book degraded into a confusing mess of characters, crossovers, and guest appearances.

The art however for these Eclipso issues is pretty. But much like to plot and dialog, I really can’t follow the action from the images. Donna Troy and Batman look cool. And the fight scenes have tons of bodies in each panel. But again, it’s so confusing to me I just kind of gloss over the page.

So I’m hoping that the rebooting of the entire DC Universe will help end this slog to incomprehensibility to something I can understand.

No comments: