Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Top of the Pile - 11/28/12

Three Books from Image

Morning Glories #23
Chew #30
Fatale #10

Since three of the more interesting titles came in this week (all from Image Comics), I figure I’ll give a quick blast out on my thoughts on these books.

The actual first book I read was Morning Glories number 23. The previous book, number 22, came out almost two months ago and I really didn’t remember much of the confusing storyline. To be honest, I don’t remember many of the characters either, but I think I like this book in an odd way. I find the art by Joe Eisma the best part I most look forward to when a new issue comes in. I would buy the collected volumes of this for my library. And it could go into the YA area with a little wink and nod since there are some violent images thought this series.

Chew number 30 was next up. With a fold-out covers showing the wedding of Toni Chu, this is the last book in a five issue story arc called Space Cakes. I still find this book very clever and funny (there is usually one or two tasteless puns that make laugh out loud), I always try and recommend this to the teens who come into the library. I placed the first two volumes in the adult non-fiction area because of the cannibalism and profane language.

And finally Fatale number 10 was the last of the three. Like Chew, this is the end of a story arc. This neo-noir story wraps up with the ritual sacrifices, bloody murders and manipulations to come to a satisfying conclusion. However, I’m not sure if this is a graphic story that would appeal to many library readers (who tend to be the teens in my facility). I don’t think they would have the understanding of the hard-boiled stories to appreciate the effect the creators are striving for. Perhaps if it were shelved in the fiction area next to the other similar stories, it would get more life. But I believe it would get lost in the collection without much pimping of the library staff.

So those were the book at the top of my pile this week.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for your review!