Thursday, August 27, 2009

Comic Con Odds and Ends - Part 4

There is a section on the exhibit floor of the Comic Con called artists alley. This is where artists can rent a table and setup shop to sell sketches, books or whatever. When I wandered this area I saw a book that I have reviewed previously and liked a lot titles The Eternal Smile. So I went over and met Derek Kirk Kim. I told him how much I liked the book and how I picked it up for the library and try to get people to check it out all the time. He seemed flatted and humble with my fanboy ramblings. I bought his comic Lowbright #1 and read it that evening when I got home from the Con.

Lowbright is a collection of Dereks comic strips and sketches that he has made over the last couple years. It was a small comic book that was self published. (Looks like it was color photocopied) The book is mostly one page comic gags about his virginity and how he can't meet the right girl. But the first story is about 5 pages long and its about the 10 reasons he has not had sex yet. It made me laugh out loud, but also made me feel for him. This was an unexpected gem that I found at the Comic Con this year.

No comments: