Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Graphic Novels in Libraries

So, why does there need to be another library schlub reviewing graphic novels online? Other than the obvious "because I can", I believe that there is a renaissance currently happening in graphic stories which there another voice added to the conversation can not be a bad thing. I've been collecting and reading comics pretty much all my life and have found them to be very literate and artistic. And coming to library land after being a comic nerd, I feel I have a little different attitude than other reviewers who discovered comics after becoming a teen librarian somewhere.

I'm an adult services librarian at the Mission Viejo Library in Orange County California and have been working here for over 10 years. I've been the "comic book guy" on staff and though my colleagues mentally understand that graphic novels are just another genre of books for the library to own, I still sense that they consider them less that "real" novels. Even though I mention all the awards and "real" authors who are doing comics. The graphic novels are mostly relegated to teen area of the library and I want to change that.

With this blog starting out, the format will evolve as I try different things. I think I'll list all of my weekly comic buys and list the order in which I read them (meaning the more interesting ones will be on top). Also, since our library budget has been cut by 80% this fiscal year, we won't be picking up too many graphic novels for the library. But I will definitely report what we do get and I'll write a library type review on the worthiness of the book. So hopefully I'll be able to produce a useful and insightful resource for readers and librarians as a selection tool beyond just the children's and teen areas.

No comments: