Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Top of the Pile - 7/18/12

Sorry for not having an entry last week. I was getting ready to attend the San Diego Comic Con for a couple days and didn’t make it to the shop. So I have a pretty big stack this week. What I would have picked for my top of the pile last week was I, Zombie. I thought it was the final issue of that run, but it turns out there's one more coming.

This week however goes to a Marvel book, Fantastic Four #608. There are other good books that were close to the top including Daredevil #15, Saga #5 and the new Captain Marvel #1. But the Jonathan Hickman run on the Fantastic Four book has been a fun ride for the past couple years. And another definite plus is the Frank Cho cover of three superwomen. That’s why I put this at the top of my pile.

On reading, this book is one of exposition. It’s not the most exciting, but Hickman is building the larger story. It starts with T’Challa and Reed Richards entering into the Wakandan necropolis because of dreams the T’Challa has been experiencing. While T’Challa’s sister, Shuri, the current Black Panther, along with Storm and Invisible Woman go on their own vision quest to confront the Jackal God who has been attacking Wakanda.

The art by Giuseppe Camuncoli, Karl Kesel and Paul Mounts is better than good. The Egyptian motif is prevalent through the book. And with some dramatic angles and interesting facial expressions, I’m glad I put this one at the top. I suspect there are other books that would be better as a single issue this week, but I’m happy that this issue of Fantastic Four didn’t disappoint.

No comments: