Friday, July 6, 2012

Top of the Pile - 7/4/12

This week is an odd one for comic shopping. With Wednesday on the 4th of July holiday, I went to pick up my stack at the local shop. But the new guy behind the counter was too busy talking politics to even acknowledge me standing around, so I went without picking up my books and had lunch. I'll get my pile next Wednesday on the 8th.

So if I didn't buy any comics from the shop, what’s at the top of my pile? An electronic comic book from Monkeybrain Comics using the Comixology app on my iPad. What’s interesting is that Monkeybrain was created by Chris Robinson and Allison Baker and it is starting to publish creator owned works. There has been tons of press about Chris Robinson and his break from DC Comics over creative issues, which made me want to support this endeavor. I ended up purchasing four out of the five titles initially released and because of the cover art, the book Bandette #1 was at the top of the stack.

Written by Paul Tobin with art by  Colleen Coover, Bandette is the story of a young burglar and her shenanigans around town. The book begins with Bandette breaking into an estate to steal some Rembrandt drawings. When she unexpectedly runs into the owner, she makes her hasty escape with the help a network of friends.

I liked the story. It’s style reminds me of the graphic novel Cat Burglar Black which I wrote about a while ago. There is tons of places Tobin can go with this. He has created a small little universe for Bandette and her friends to do their capers. And the art by Colleen Coover, though cartoony, is colorful and dynamic. Really cool stuff.

Though only 99 cents, this first issue is only 15 pages long. So for a very quick read, it tells some very quick exposition of the characters. However, I wish it was longer. Perhaps if it comes out weekly, I’ll forgive their brevity. And the underlying philosophy of creator rights of Monkeybrain makes this work even cooler. I’ll definitely purchase the next issue to see where the story goes.

No comments: