Thursday, July 26, 2012

Top of the Pile - 7/26/12

According to news reports, I guess I wasn't really supposed to have this comic book in my pile. DC asked that retailers hold off on selling this book for a month due to some content that could be considered insensitive after the tragedy in Aurora last week. But when I picked up my stack, there it was. And, of course, I had to read this “controversial” book first before anything else. Written by the incomprehensible Grant Morrison and art by Chris Burnham, the book shows Bruce Wayne going undercover as Matches Malone going full hard boiled as he tries to find leads on the secret group Leviathan. With a bounty on Damien (the current Robin and Bruce Waynes son), Batman tries to keep him safe while trying to work in the field hunting down contacts and leads. But Damien is not one to be babysat by Alfred and by the end of the book has found his way into quite a bit of trouble. I mention that Grant Morrison’s writing is incomprehensible. I don’t know if thats the correct description, but when I read his works, I feel like I’m only understanding about 60 to 70 percent of the story. But that kind of makes the book more interesting. Its like being told a secret without knowing all the background. For instance, there is a full page image showing the interconnections and relationships Leviathan has with Batman. And I recognized about half of the pictures, but I’m sure they relate to stories that have happened going years back. Grant, like always, is weaving a complex tale that seems to reveal more questions than it answers. I also like Chris Burnham’s art. Sometimes Batman artists try and create moody, dark artwork but Chris uses clear lines that is unambiguous (unlike the story). I found it refreshing to be able to see everything in each panel. The atmospheric, noir art style some Batman books use gets tiring after several years of artists trying the make the Dark Knight. Thankfully, with Batman Incorporated, though the story isn’t clear and concise, the artwork is. As for holding off the title, I believe that DC did the proper thing. I don't wish to discuss the tragedy, but it is a positive thing when a corporation makes a small effort at sensitivity when the circumstances demand it.

No comments: